This chargrilled asparagus and buffalo mozzarella salad created by @thecornerplot is perfect for al fresco dining this summer.
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears
- 300 g fresh peas* (or frozen equivalent)
- 500 g fresh broad beans* (or frozen equivalent)
- 4 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
- Buffalo mozzarella (4-8 small balls, or 1 large ball, torn into pieces)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves only, shredded
- Micro herbs, such as pea shoots
*Weight in their pods
- Snap the asparagus at the base to remove the hard woody stem, then trim. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt flakes to the asparagus and coat evenly.
- Heat a heavy ridged iron pan over a high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of the stems), turning occasionally, until charred. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and plunge the shelled peas in for 1 minute, then drain and leave to cool in iced water. Repeat for the shelled broad beans, then peel away the outer shells once cool.
- Add the radish, peas, broad beans, lemon zest and mozzarella to the asparagus. Drizzle generously with olive oil, add a good squeeze of lemon juice, a grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt. Decorate with the mint and micro herbs, and serve straight away.
Visit the @thecornerplot for more delicious recipes.