This hearty sausage casserole is an easy one-pot recipe for the whole family to enjoy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 red or yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 6 pork sausages
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini or mixed beans, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
1. Put the oil in a large heatproof casserole dish over a medium heat and add the onion, cook for 5 mins until it starts to soften. Tip in the garlic, celery and peppers, and give everything a good stir. Cook for 5 mins more.
2. Turn the heat to high and add the sausages. Cook for a few mins until browned all over, then reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the spices and season well. Pour over the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering gently for 40 mins, stirring every now and then.
3. Heat the grill to high and uncover the casserole. Add the beans and stir to warm through. Scatter over chopped parsley to serve.