These chocolate chip cookie sandwiches from @healthy_twists are such a fun recipe to make with kids. Quick, easy and made extra special with a buttercream icing filling – perfect for National Baking Week!
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 8-10 minutes | Makes: 24
For the cookies
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 60g light brown soft sugar
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 190g gluten free plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 50g white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
For the buttercream
- 300g butter, softened
- 600g icing sugar
- 1-2 drops pink food colouring
- 1-2 drops yellow food colouring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper
- In a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter and both sugars and beat together until light and fluffy. Add the lightly whisked egg and vanilla extract and stir together. Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix together until all combined.
- Roughly chop the white and dark chocolate and add to the cookie dough mix and stir through
- Using a tablespoon as a measuring scoop – fill a level tablespoon with cookie dough and place on the lined baking tray. Ensure to space the cookies evenly on the baking tray, as the cookies will spread a little during baking. The dough will make about 24 cookies
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cookies are just turning golden brown
- Remove the cookies trays from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. After 5 minutes carefully transfer the cookies to the wire rack to cool completely
To make the buttercream
- Beat the sifted icing sugar and softened butter together either by hand or in a mixer until smooth.
- Divide the buttercream equally into 3 bowls and add the pink food colouring to one bowl and yellow food colouring to another to create 3 different colour buttercreams.
- Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle and add the palest buttercream first. Pipe onto the underside of one cookie and sandwich another cookie onto the top. Repeat until you have finished all 3 buttercreams.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days.
For more tasty recipes head over to the Healthy Twists website: https://healthy-twists.com/