A modern take on a classic cake recipe for 1920s week on The Great British Bake Off.
Food blogger Ewa from @LetsEatSmart has shared her delicious vegan version of a Lemon Pound Cake which can be created in 6 simple steps.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1tbsp lemon or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup soya milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the over to 180C / Gas Mark 4
- Line a loaf pan with baking parchment and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl. combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the milk, oil and vanilla extract. Stir until combined
- Transfer the batter into the tin. Bake in the middle of the over for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Let the cake cool at least 15 minutes in the loaf tin before turning it onto a wire rack. Once completely cool, decorate with icing and enjoy
Optional: Ewa topped her lemon pound cake with icing and served with a dollop of thick, creamy coconut yogurt and a sweet fig.
For more recipes, visit her blog here.