Try this deliciously creamy floral Eton Mess recipe from blogger and foodie Aimee Twigger.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Serves: 6
- 2 large egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
- 500g strawberries, roughly chopped
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Edible flowers for serving
- Heat your oven to 120C/100C fan/Gas 1 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper
- For the meringues, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they reach stiff peaks, then add the sugar in 3 lots, re-whisking to ensure the texture stays the same every time
- Spoon dollops of the mixture onto the baking tray, cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for around 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes until the meringues are completely hard and come off the paper easily. Leave to cool
- For the topping, slice the strawberries and place in a bowl with the sugar to soften
- Whip the double cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form
- Once your meringues have cooled down crush them into a bowl and add spoonfuls of the whipped cream
- Layer on to a larger platter starting with a handful of crushed meringue, strawberries and cream and keep layering until you run out. We have used the Natural Canvas Large Platter to serve
- Top with edible flowers and enjoy!
NB: Alternatively if you want to save time, purchase ready-made meringue nests.
For more inspiration from Aimee Twigger, visit her website here.