Tonight we will see The Great British Bake Off contestants take on Dairy Week for the first time.
In preparation try this deliciously creamy floral Eton mess recipe from blogger and foodie Aimee Twigger.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Serves: 6
- 2 large egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
- 500g strawberries, roughly chopped
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Edible flowers for serving
- Heat your oven to 120C/100C fan/Gas 1 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper
- For the meringues, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they reach stiff peaks, then add the sugar in 3 lots, re-whisking to ensure the texture stays the same every time
- Spoon dollops of the mixture onto the baking tray, cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for around 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes until the meringues are completely hard and come off the paper easily. Leave to cool
- For the topping, slice the strawberries and place in a bowl with the sugar to soften
- Whip the double cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form
- Once your meringues have cooled down crush them into a bowl and add spoonfuls of the whipped cream
- Layer on to a larger platter starting with a handful of crushed meringue, strawberries and cream and keep layering until you run out. We have used the Natural Canvas Large Platter to serve
- Top with edible flowers and enjoy!
NB: Alternatively if you want to save time, purchase ready-made meringue nests.
For more inspiration from Aimee Twigger, visit her website here.