A vibrant salad recipe created by @thecornerplot. Add a pop of colour to your table with this Blood Orange, Asparagus and Watercress Salad.
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears
- Handful of watercress (leaves and stems)
- Handful of salad leaves
- 2 blood oranges, skin removed (including the bitter white pith), sliced thinly (normal oranges will be fine too)
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Micro herbs and edible flowers (optional)
For the dressing:
- 45 ml rice vinegar
- 1/2 apple (unpeeled), finely grated
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Snap the asparagus at the base to remove the hard woody stem, then trim. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt flakes to the asparagus and coat the stems.
- Heat a heavy ridged iron pan over a high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of the stems), turning occasionally, until charred. Remove from the pan and when cool cut into 4 cm pieces.
- Mix together the vinegar, apple, soy sauce, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved, then add the oil.
- Just before serving, toss the watercress and salad leaves with enough dressing to coat. Add the other ingredients, decorate with edible flowers and microherbs, and serve straight away.
For more tasty recipes check out @thecornerplot’s blog here.