A vibrant summer recipe created by @thecornerplot for National Vegetarian Week. Add a pop of colour to your table with this Blood Orange, Asparagus and Watercress Salad.
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears
- Handful of watercress (leaves and stems)
- Handful of salad leaves
- 2 blood oranges, skin removed (including the bitter white pith), sliced thinly (normal oranges will be fine too)
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Micro herbs and edible flowers (optional)
For the dressing:
- 45 ml rice vinegar
- 1/2 apple (unpeeled), finely grated
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Snap the asparagus at the base to remove the hard woody stem, then trim. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt flakes to the asparagus and coat the stems.
- Heat a heavy ridged iron pan over a high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of the stems), turning occasionally, until charred. Remove from the pan and when cool cut into 4 cm pieces.
- Mix together the vinegar, apple, soy sauce, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved, then add the oil.
- Just before serving, toss the watercress and salad leaves with enough dressing to coat. Add the other ingredients, decorate with edible flowers and microherbs, and serve straight away.