These deliciously chocolatey mini muffins are a fun recipe to make with the family this Easter. Perfect for small hands to test out their baking skills.
Makes 24 mini muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes
For the muffins:
- 150g unsalted butter, soft
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 15g cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 100g dark or milk chocolate
- 80g icing sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. hot water
- Edible Easter decorations
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 24-hole mini muffin tray with paper mini muffin cake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the self-raising flour and add the golden caster sugar and cacao powder and stir together. Then add the soft unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and beat together to create a smooth cake batter.
- Spoon cake mix evenly between the muffin cases and place in the middle of the oven and bake for 12 minutes, until risen and just firm to the touch. Place the tray on a wire cooling rack and remove the muffins once cool enough to do so.
- Leave to cool completely before making the icing.
To make the icing:
- Chop the chocolate and place in small saucepan along with the butter and gently heat, until the chocolate has melted. Stir the chocolate and butter together.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar until it is smooth, you may need to add a tablespoon or 2 of water to thin the icing mix slightly. Stir this in thoroughly.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag, with your choice of nozzle and pipe over the tops of the muffins, then finish with your edible decorations.
Store in an air tight container and eat within 3 days.