A rich and chunky version of Chilli con Carne. Can be cooked just on the hob or transferred to the oven once you’ve added the stock. Adjust the chillies to taste, or if you like it extra spicy, add a little dried chilli powder with the other spices!
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1.5kg diced braising steak
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 750ml boiling water to cover
- 2x 400g cartons chopped tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2x 400g cartons red kidney beans in water, rinsed
- 2 green peppers, diced
- Few sprigs fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Fresh salsa
- Soured cream
- Heat 1tbs of the oil in the Denby Cast Iron casserole and add the diced beef.
- Fry, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until sealed.
- Remove the beef and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish, add the onions and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the garlic, chillies and all the dried spices and fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef back to the dish and pour over the stock and the tomatoes. Season well with black pepper and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with the lid and allow to cook slowly for at least an hour (either in the oven or on the hob).
- Check occasionally and add a little more water if required.
- Once the meat is tender, stir in the beans and peppers and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn up the heat a little to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole, sour cream and rice.