This delicious recipe from Blogger Jessica Beautician is perfect for those attempting #Veganuary this month!
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 12 minutes | Serves: 2
- 2 cups wholewheat penne pasta
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large dried red chilli (not fresh)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
To garnish: (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Lemon zest
- Place the penne pasta in a pan of boiling, salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fry the chillies whole in separate pan on a medium-high heat in a teaspoon of olive oil for around 5 minutes, turning constantly, until slightly blackened but do not allow to burn.
- Crush the fried chilli, any remaining oil from the pan and the minced garlic with a pestle and mortar until it forms a slight paste though still with chunky pieces of the skin of the chilli. Add in the paprika, dried herbs, salt and black pepper and mix those through well.
- In the same pan used for frying the chilli, add the tablespoon of olive oil and tomato puree. Fry that off for 2 minutes and then add in the chilli-garlic paste and nutritional yeast, stir through and fry that off for another minute.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain it off then add it into the pan and turn it through the paste.
- Finally, squeeze in the lemon juice and grate in the zest, stir and season again to taste if needed.
- Serve warm or as a cold pasta dish with fresh basil leaves and extra zest to garnish.
Read the recipe on Jessica’s blog here