Elderberries best suit savoury foods and this sticky elderberry cabbage is the perfect accompaniment for a Sunday roast.
Makes enough to serve 6 as a side.
- Large Red Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 tblsp real butter
- 2 red onions – peeled and finely chopped
- 2tsp red wine vinegar
- 150g elderberries – squeezed to extract juice
- 50g brown sugar
- 10g ground hogweed seeds (or 1 cinnamon stick)
- 1 orange – Zest and juice
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add the onions and fry off until soft – approx. 5 minutes
- Add the orange zest and cinnamon (or hogweed seeds) and cook for a minute before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring the whole lot to the boil then reduce to a rolling simmer, cover the pan and cook for 45 minutes until the cabbage is softened well.
- Serve in the Natural Canvas Extra Large Nesting Bowl.