Get involved in this week’s Great British Bake Off theme, Spice Week, with this delicious Bread Pudding recipe by James Martin!
Shop the James Martin Gastro Sweet range here!
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 500g sultanas
- 100ml whisky
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 500g wholemeal bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50g demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm square cake tin.
- Put the sultanas and whisky into a bowl, swirl around, then set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Put the milk into a saucepan along with the soft light brown sugar and butter, and set over a medium heat. Heat until the butter has melted, then remove from the heat, stir in the orange zest and spices, and leave for another 15 minutes for the sultanas to soften.
- Blitz the bread in a food processor until it forms breadcrumbs, then add to the liquid and mix well. Add the eggs and whisk to combine. Pour into the prepared tin and press down lightly into the corners, then sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake for 1 hour until golden brown and just set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack, then turn out and cut into squares to serve.
This recipe is included in James Martin’s More Home Comforts book.