Cook and author Indy Power has created a series of one-pot dishes ideal to cook in our latest Cast Iron and Oven to Tableware ranges.
Perfect for Mother’s Day, this Roast Tomato and Basil Buckwheat Risotto is both fresh and comforting. Indy says, “This is a great dish to ease you out of winter and into spring and would be a delicious Mother’s Day dinner.”
Gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 200g of Cherry Tomatoes
• 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
• 1 White Onion, Diced
• 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
• 1 Cup of Buckwheat Groats (180g)
• 2 Cups of Stock (500ml)
• 1 x 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
• 1/2 Cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk (125ml)
• 1 Large Handful of Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped
• Optional to serve: parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 200’C
2. Place the cherry tomatoes on a roasting tray and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper and pop them in to roast for about 20 minutes
3. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pan on a medium heat and add in the onion and the garlic. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent
4. Pour the chopped tomatoes into your stock and stir well• Add the buckwheat to the pan and toss well
5. Pour in about a quarter of the stock/tomato mixture and let everything simmer until the liquid is almost all absorbed. Keep repeating in similar amounts until all of the stock is used up
6. When almost all of the liquid is absorbed, add in the almond milk and mix well
7. By this time, the tomatoes should be roasted. Add them to the pan with the fresh basil, stirring well
8. Cook your risotto until your desired wetness and serve hot with a sprinkling of fresh basil on top and some parmesan if desired.
See the Pavilion Cast Iron 30cm Shallow Casserole that Indy used to cook this recipe here.