Anna’s next recipe is perfectly timed with National Waffle Day which falls on the 25th March: smoked salmon and parsley waffles served with a lemon and basil sour cream. Anna says: “this is a great brunch option when you fancy something a little different and indulgent”.
Feeds – 4-6
Preparation Time – 10- 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes.
• Knob of butter
• 4 Baby shallots – Finely sliced and lightly fried
• 200g plain flour
• 2 Tsp Baking powder
• 375 ml full fat milk
• 2 Organic eggs – Whisked
• 200g Butter – Melted and cooled
• 2 Spring onions – Finely sliced
• Small bunch of parsley leaves – Finely chopped
• Generous sprinkle of sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
• ¼ Zest of lemon50g Smoked salmon – Roughly diced.
Lemon and Basil Sour Cream Ingredients:
• ½ Zest of lemon
• Handful of basil leaves – Stems removed
• Sprinkle of sea salt flakes
• Good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
• Half a pot (150g) of sour cream
• 150- 200g Smoked Salmon to serve
• 2 Avocados
• Peel of half a lemon – Finely sliced.
1. Melt a knob of butter in a pan and then add in the finely sliced shallots and cook until soft and sticky. Next, melt 200g of butter and set to one side to cool
2. In a mixing bowl combine the plain flour, baking powder, milk, eggs and the cooled melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined but don’t over mix. Next, gently fold in the cooked shallots, spring onions, parsley and smoked salmon
3. Gently stir and turn your waffle maker on. Wait for it to reach optimum temperature and then brush with butter and spoon in around 2-3 tablespoons of the waffle mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crisp
4. For the lemon and basil sour cream, simply muddle the lemon zest, basil leaves and salt flakes and then add in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Gently stir into the sour cream leaving it marbled
5. Serve the waffles with half an avocado and a generous slice of smoked salmon and a dollop of basil sour cream. Sprinkle over your finely sliced lemon zest, add a little extra black pepper and serve.