This beautiful dessert is one of Anna’s favourites: dark chocolate tart with ginger and almond crust, served with cardamom cream.
Anna describes this decadent tart as “rich, indulgent and completely moreish!”. The ginger in the crust combined with the cardamom cream makes for a perfect flavour combination.
350ml Double cream
Generous splash of full fat milk
1 Tbsp caster sugar
2 Tbsp Ginger syrup (taken from the stem ginger in syrup)
200g Dark chocolate (70% plus) – Roughly broken
1 Knob of butter
3 Balls of stem ginger (in syrup) – Roughly diced.
Almond and Ginger Crust Ingredients:
250g Gingernut biscuits – Blitzed to a fine crumb
50g Ground almonds
50g Melted butter.
Warm Cardamom Cream Ingredients:
250ml Double cream
3-5 Cardamom pods (depending how strong you would like the cream) – Thoroughly blitzed until a fine crumb
5 Cardamom pods – Crushed.
– Begin by preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Next, melt the butter and blitz the biscuits until you have a fine even crumb. Combine the biscuits, ground almonds and butter and press evenly into your tart case making sure it is compact and evenly pressed into the edges (I find the removable base tins work the best). Place on a baking tray and bake for 4-5 minutes or until the crust begins to darken slightly. Remove and allow to cool.
– Next, heat your cream, milk, sugar and ginger syrup until it begins to boil and then remove from the heat and add in the broken chocolate. Stir or whisk until you have a smooth, thick chocolate sauce then add in your knob of butter and whisk again until glossy and smooth.
– Once your pastry case or cases have cooled, sprinkle in the chopped stem ginger sharing evenly across each tart or slice before gently pouring over the chocolate sauce right up to the top of the crust. Allow to cool for an hour or so and then transfer to the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
– For the warm cardamom cream, place your cream in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the 5 crushed cardamom pods along with the blitzed cardamom. Simmer for 10 minutes and then allow to cool and infuse for at least 30 minutes before pouring through a sieve. When serving, heat your cream gently, before serving alongside the tart.
– Makes 6 small tarts or 1 large tart
– Preparation Time – 15- 20 minutes
– Cooking Time – 5 minutes
– Chilling Time – 1 hour.